Saturday, July 31, 2010

July 31st- Swimming!

Swimming pools in Korea are definitely interesting. We went to one today, and just as I had anticipated, it was shallow all the way around. But, despite the lackluster appearance, I had a ton of fun. We literally catapulted the students into the water, and I would just like to say that I got back at my overactive ones by throwing them over my shoulder into the chilly water. I fee like we are really getting to develop relationships with our students, which makes teaching all the more bearable. Aside from having a blast in the pool, we spent the night exchanging jokes with our Korean friends, Lee and Patrick- I use their American names for confusions sake- and it just so happens that they are completely hysterical.

Earlier on in the evening we took the city bus to Outback Steakhouse. I regret spending 25,000 won, an equivalent to about 20 USD on a steak. Sometimes a gentle rub from Americanized food helps you to focus and stay sane aside from the daily rations of Kim-chi and sticky rice. We found ourselves in the middle of a Korean hornets nest of designer shops and clothing stores, decked out with white lights, and trendy signs. Consumerism is ripe in this culture to say the least. When faith depletes, consumerist notions emerge. The bus system in Korea is spectacular, it is only 1,000 won to ride the bus practical anywhere, and juxtaposing that with a jolting taxi ride coming in around 20,000 won, I prefer the cheap route, and the metro transit experience as a whole. Just like any other city of 600,000 people, Jeonju has many different styles and looks. I saw two white people today and stared at them, it's amazing how accustomed i've become at just seeing asian faces, that the appearance of a white person almost startles me. Korea is predominately homogeneous society, with mostly Korean people residing there. So on a given day, I see Korean after Korea, and practically no other multiethnic people whatsoever.

The zeitgeist of Korea right now could be most positively defined as: luxuriously stagnant. Koreans are a hard working, intelligent bevy of people, dedicated to superiority in their studies, hard work on the side, and a dictum of progression. All the links in the chain connect when one throws in money, attributed to their incessant hard working ideology, and the emergence of designer ideals and Americanism into their culture. Everybody dresses classy. The Koreans make Americans look like slobs and unprofessional bandits. Nevertheless, depending on your persuasion toward formidable fashion, luxury is only a means to show how much you have accomplished. To me, this is all fleeting, however, to some, it is a lifestyle nonetheless. Koreans are classy, and aside from their streets being littered profusely, they are generally speaking, a kind people group. Though spending 200,000 won on a pair of Levis may seem a bit steep, they look good. And everybody wants to look good.

All in all today was a full, enriching day. I got to sleep in an hour extra, and I read an intriguing article about North Korea's soccer team being ignominiously mauled by their own countries media by their inefficient performance in the World Cup. I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can head home, but until then, I will be taking in the sights and sounds of Korea, and taking notes along the way.

Goodnight from Jeonju, South Korea
David

No comments:

Post a Comment