Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 28th- 21st Birthday in JeonJu South Korea

I was quite taken by the amber sunlight that flooded through my dormitory window this morning. I let my aching, sleepy body linger in its warm light. As the honey hued floor boards were set shimmering with a golden glow, I arose in the silent breath of morning. The gentle hues of Northern Korea blew across the landscape, and I headed to class in a groggy state. Upon arriving I noticed that the lights in my room were not on. I eased into the darkness- and as I flicked on the light switch I heard a unison exclamation of, "Happy Birthday Teacher David!" Quite possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen occurred right in front of my very eyes. Three little girls threw notes in the folded guise of airplanes at my head. Only one or two of them made contact with me at all. It was the most precious birthday surprise I have ever seen or heard about. My students are absolute gems.

Class was the ritualistic set of methodically processes as it always is. I am finding it increasingly hard for myself to even find interest in the subject matter, let alone teach it creatively. I have no training in conventional teaching methods, so the application of proven methods is not relevant to me since I do not have the slightest idea of what those are. But the birthday cake that my students drew for me on the board, along with the curvy happy birthday wishes scrawled hastily sufficed just enough. After class I had a pleasant surprise. The Korean staff organized a birthday party for me as a suprise. So this was two surprise birthday fiestas. The first one was my class, and the second was in the guise of a staff meeting. The cake I received from the Korean staff was brought up to Amanda my fellow teacher's room on the eighteenth floor of the complex for our nightly devotions as a team. I originally felt a bit melancholy due to my circumstances, those being, the fact that I am overseas, and not with my loved ones. I also signed a contracted stating that no alcohol is to be drank while I'm sojourning here. Obligatorily, I am under no convictions, however I must feign as though I am on this trip. My stance toward alcoholic beverages is a bit lax in the light of others on my team.

As the light began to wan, and elongated shadows stretched their weary arms across the obsidian pavement, a gentle prick of sunlight brushed it's lips across the horizon, and clouds jettied the whimsical darkness from approaching too quickly. My team took me out to pizza, and I had my fill of American food. Homely foods are a solace when traveling abroad, and quite honestly helps you keep your sanity. My team members treated me with geniality and warmth, and though nothing can compensate for the tenderness of my family and friends back home, my team did a very good job at sating my anxiety with love. Though I did not feel at all dolorous during the course of the day, I still at this moment am feeling the tinge of homesickness.

Although there is no immediate remedy for acute homesickness, I still had an awesome 21st birthday. And even though I can not consume any alcoholic beverages- at the moment- when I find myself at home, drinks are on me.

Cheers from JeonJu, South Korea,
your finally of age writer,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment