Monday, July 19, 2010

July 19th- Fear Factor


Sometimes when the utter monotony of missions-trip life equates itself with lethargy, one feels useless and dreary. Today was one of those times. We started the day with an epic breakfast at our Host home in Iksan, then afterwards made for the church for a pre-camp briefing and strategizing attempt. Our synergies were not in-tune at all. I found myself loping about here and there, drifting in and out of whirls of daydreams. This was a nonproductive day- that the Koreans are used to- but that the inner American within me detests beyond all detestable things. Lunch was supposed to be a haven, a solace if you will, but instead I found my nostrils plugged with the smell of a bird genocide.

We toured Koreas largest factory, and what they produce is a consumer favorite. And that is chicken. A fetor as I have never experienced hung in thick clouds in the prison like halls of the factory. After seeing the slaughterhouse we nestled into a dinning room and awaited the product. Splattered across the table lay multitudinous forms of chicken. I prided myself in eating, not one, but two chicken feet. A gelatin type of texture lathered with a spicy sauce. Absolutely disgusting. Then onto the second grossest and most grotesque, the fish eyes. These were a bit salty, but still gross if the logistics are presented. this was my afternoon.

Later in the evening we explored downtown Iksan. It reminded me of every other shopping district in the world. Where consumerism is the veil, and clothing the pall.Above: Iksan, South Korea. Beautiful lights scribbled across billboards, and shop lights glow with a vivid zeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment