Saturday, July 17, 2010

July 17th- Korean Living


Besides the fact that it was an extremely humid day in Korea, I have been feeling quite ill. I woke up with a tremendous cough, and almost threw up after lunch. But now as I am writing, I feel quite well. We started the day off with a bittersweet last two hours of teaching, which went very well. I got my students started with facebook, and taught them how to network. Americanism in a Korean school is the last thing the world needs to see, or adapt to. Above is a picture of my students and myself. The day consisted of teaching my lethargic students. Here are a couple of pictures of what the class room looks like, and most importantly, my students. Their smiles are very contagious, and their laughter even warmer. I already miss my students and desire greatly to return to Game Science High School and teach a second time. The closing ceremony was not nearly as despondent as I first believed it was going to be, but on the contrary was uplifting and affirming in the context of embracing my students one last time. Most of them were ranging in age from about seventeen to eighteen years old. But what is rather queer about them is how they act. It was an odd amalgam of immaturity with respect. I have never experienced a phenomenon quite like it. Parting was not hard, whereupon, I miss them greatly. Parting is like the silent footsteps of early morning, growing strong with the ensuing day. Tonight I greatly miss them.

However, every ending is merely the catalyst toward a new beginning. We made for Iksan, South Korea- a more traditional version of JeonJu- with the intention of teaching, but like all teachers, at some point in their path they are the ones being taught. Our time in Iksan started off with a tour of a church of 5,000. This place was ridiculous. It was luxuriant without pretension. Practically bleeding of outreach. I think I counted nearly 4 or 5 new grand pianos, and in addition of being colossal size, it was complete with two choir rehearsal rooms, a radio station, and a plethora of other trinkets. But what is even more phantasmagorical is the fact that Christy and I were asked to play at the night service. I hope that Phil Wickham has a song that will save our lives! Afterward made a short drive through the city to Korean style housing. a elongated tower stretching stoically into the sky. The elevator doors opened on the fifth floor and we then proceeded to enter an actual Korean household.

Upon entering we quickly noticed the globs of sandals, slippers and shoes that lay scattered like broken bottles across the welcome mat. A glass sliding door lay half open, giving us a sliver of a glimpse into the apartment. A lengthy leather couch stretched lazily across the opposing wall of the quaint room. Adjacent to the living room space- tiled with wooden panels- is the bathroom. I will upload a picture of a typical Korean style bathroom. Instead of having two separate entities of a washroom and a bathroom, they are conveniently combined. There is no tub, instead, however, there is a movable shower-head. Korean culture honestly has no time or need for a lazy bath, and plus, the languorous air would make them miss an important Korean soap opera, which is playing as I am writing. We dined at a fancy Italian restaurant, and returned within an hour or two.Above: View from window in our host home.
I cannot stress more vehemently how hospitable the family we stayed with was. They epitomized Korean-style hospitality, a shattered any apprehension that loomed in our minds about our well-being as we munched on prunes, mulberry juice, and almonds. Not being like the U.S, it is not queer to be living with your parents well into your twenties, and possibly into your thirties. The brother, who was well into grad school was a comfortable twenty eight years of age. In addition, the grandmother also lived with the family. Soon after our arrival, they were terming us their children, and we termed them our parents. We were treated like kings at our home stay, and if I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would unequivocally do it.

When we returned, our host family had a bible study. We sat cross legged on the living room floor and read through 2 Samuel 24, in its entirety. Amazing Grace resounded throughout the humble living area and then was followed up by a repetitive phrase of, "Jesus is Lord" three times over. I want my household to look similar, in the respects of everyone in the family being barefoot, and of course having a bible study as a mandatory engagement nightly.

The brother, whom consequently from our sojourn, was giving up his room. He added me on facebook and wrote me a message exclaiming, "Good Night brother". This is just more reason why I love Korea. Family is family, and there is nothing more to be said about that.

Good Night from Iksan, South Korea,

Your homely writer David

No comments:

Post a Comment